LONDON (AP) — Buckingham Palace says Prince Philip, the irascible and tough-minded husband of Queen Elizabeth II, has died. He was 99. He spent more than seven decades supporting his wife in a role that both defined and constricted his life. His life spanned nearly a century of European history, starting with his birth as a member of the Greek royal family and ending as Britain’s longest serving consort during a turbulent reign in which the thousand-year-old monarchy was forced to reinvent itself for the 21st century. He was known for his occasionally deeply offensive remarks — and for gamely fulfilling more than 20,000 royal engagements to boost British interests at home and abroad.
Donald McKague / Michael Ochs Archives/Getty Images
Buckingham Palace says Prince Philip, the irascible and tough-minded husband of Queen Elizabeth II, has died.
Posted: Apr 9, 2021 9:54 AM
- Prince Philip, husband of Queen Elizabeth II, dies at 99
- Queen Elizabeth, Husband Prince Philip Receive COVID-19 Vaccinations
- Prince Philip, Queen Elizabeth II's husband, leaves hospital and returns to Windsor Castle
- Prince Charles visits 99-year-old Prince Philip in hospital
- UK's Prince Philip taken to London hospital after feeling unwell
- Queen in the Trenches
- The Fat Boys' Prince Markie Dee dies at 52
- Former Lt. Gov. Jimmy Fitzmorris dies at age 99
- Obama Family Matriarch Has Died in a Kenyan Hospital at 99
Scroll for more content...