Lafayette Consolidated Government is suing the Lafayette native behind two fake Antifa events that had cops scrambling and some residents on edge. In a suit filed in State District Court, LCG is seeking damages from John Merifield, a Lafayette native and comedian living in New York who operates the Cajun memes Facebook page. The suit, which seeks an unspecified amount in damages below $75,000, claims LCG went to considerable expense in police manpower both debunking the hoax and providing police presence. Merrifield posted two fake Antifa events this summer on Facebook, one targeting River Ranch and more recently the Acadiana Mall, which prompted the mall to close early. Lafayette Mayor - President Josh Guillory mentioned the lawsuit during his morning show on KPEL 96.5 FM. " We will always take these threats seriously," said Guillory " But we're not just going to respond and say , 'OK, thank you,' you know, 'Let us pay all this overtime from the taxpayers.' Heck no. We will stop at no cost- or we will stop at no measure- to recoup the cost that taxpayers have to pay for this kind of stuff.
Lafayette Consolidated Government is suing the Lafayette native behind two fake Antifa events that had cops scrambling and some residents on edge.
Posted: Sep 3, 2020 3:46 PM
- Lafayette City Parish Sues Creator of Fake 'Antifa' Facebook Events
- Lafayette Parish Public Library
- Lafayette Parish Hurricane Evacuation Routes Leaving From Lafayette Parish
- Lafayette Parish Council Meeting Update
- Lafayette Parish Daily Booking Information
- Sandbags Available in Lafayette Parish
- Local Lawyer Discusses LCG's Lawsuit Against Man Behind Antifa Scare
- Mask Distribution & Donations in Lafayette Parish
- Lafayette Parish Sheriff's :Endangered Runaway Found Safe
- Lafayette Parish Sheriff's Office Daily Arrest Report
Scroll for more content...