This week’s KidLit Pick of the Week is actually a collection of books by San Diego Press and sold by the San Diego Zoo! These stories are a mixture of true tales of the lives of the zoo animals and some stories inspired by these animals.
Each of these books help teach kids about acceptance and the importance of friendship, and also includes fun facts about the animals.
Fabulous Floyd by Georgeanne Irvine
Fabulous Floyd is an inspiring children’s book about a real flamingo at the San Diego Zoo, who overcame many obstacles in his life, including an unprecedented series of operations to straighten his crooked legs. It chronicles his journey from hatching to becoming an animal ambassador to his surgery and recovery and shows how he helped his human caretakers learn about never giving up.
Floyd’s uplifting story is illustrated with engaging photographs, and includes a section featuring fun facts about flamingos. The book will encourage readers of all ages to stand strong through the battles we face in life. Our struggles help us grow and learn appreciation too.
A Letter from Tashi: A Snow Leopard Tale written by Carrie Hasler and illustrated by Jan Smith helps teach children about the importance of being kind, and also includes fun facts about snow leopards.
What Aly likes:
· Even with the zoo being closed, readers can continue to learn about these animals.
· Great read-aloud for libraries and classrooms. Full of heart and true stories.
· The bright and colorful illustrations and photos will draw readers in and inspire them to learn more about these animals.
· Plush animals that go with the stories. · Some of the books can be signed by the author when ordered from www.shopzoo.com
· Buy 1 Get 1 Free Special - any book from the "Hope & Inspiration" series.