This week’s KidLit Pick is Interrupting Chicken: Cookies for Breakfast by David Ezra Stein (Author, Illustrator).
On a bright and early Saturday morning, little red chicken wants cookies for breakfast. So, she decides to convince her Papa by persistently waking him up and gleefully interjecting cookies—and herself!—into every nursery rhyme they read together. It’s a batter of wits between this cookie-loving, determined daughter, and her Papa who has his own idea of breakfast. Readers will love finding out if the early bird gets the cookie!
What Author Aly loves:
● Little Red Chicken mirrors the behavior of preschoolers which makes this story fun and relatable. Parents will read it and see how applicable it is to their own lives with young children.
● Hilarious interjections by Chicken and a patient Papa are right on point for the perfect storytime fun.
● Perfect to read anytime but will excite children at bedtime for a sweet snack before bed.
● Great read for 4- to 8-year-olds.
● Charming, bright illustrations that capture Chicken’s boldnes.
● Shortbread Christmas Tree Cookies
● Cookie Snowman