Lafayette, LA – Lafayette firefighters responded to IHOP restaurant , 4000 Ambassador Caffery, at 5:17 a.m. on April 29, 2021 to a reported commercial fire.
An employee arriving at work this morning entered the business and noticed a fire had occurred over night. The employee called 911 to report the incident. When firefighters arrived on scene, the fire was out, but smoke filled the seating area.
The kitchen sustained major fire damage.
Fire officials learned that the employees left the business after 11:00 p.m. The camera system in the establishment indicated that a small fire originated around 1:30 a.m. in the kitchen involving a griddle. The hood suppression system activated around 50 minutes later and extinguished the fire.
The investigation determined grease ignited within the griddle. The employees cleaned the grill before leaving and accidentally left the burner on. The cause of the fire was ruled an accident.
The business will be closed until cleanup and repairs are made.