April Sins, Rouses Dietitian , joined News 15 at Noon to share tips on keeping you and your family safe during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Holiday Gatherings during Covid-19
1. Wash hands – 20 seconds – before and after preparing, serving, and eating foods. Hand sanitizer is a good back up option if handwashing isn’t possible.
2. Wear a mask when preparing or serving food for anyone outside of your household.
3. Limit the amount of people allowing in the food prep and handling areas.
4. Wash and disinfect any reusable items, such as tablecloths and napkins aftergathering – however, using disposable items may be a good option.
5. Potluck versus individual dishes
a. Consider asking guests to bring food and drinks for themselves and members of their family versus a large dish to share with everyone
b. Avoicd serf serve foods and drinks such as buffets, chips, and punch bowls, and shareable condiments
c. Instead, use individual servings of items, such as signle serve dressings and condiments, single serving chips and crackers, and individually wrapped desserts. Serve individual bottles of water and cans of soda.
d. Designate one person as food server to avoid multiple people touching the serving utensils.