The Louisiana Department of Transportation and Development announces that state routes in northern Evangeline Parish are not ideal for vehicular travel due to winter weather conditions.
After most of the state experienced winter weather impacts, many routes in northern Evangeline Parish of DOTD’s Acadiana region are still impacted by ice on bridges, overpasses, and roadways resulting in travel conditions that are considered to be inadvisable.
With additional freezing temperatures expected to impact the region over the next day, DOTD is strongly urging motorists to avoid ALL unnecessary travel.
If travel is essential, DOTD urges motorists to use extra caution when traveling on roadways during hazardous weather conditions especially while traveling over bridges and elevated roadways and stay off the roads whenever possible.
• Divert to surface/ground level streets, if possible.
• Motorists should drive slowly, and avoid driving while distracted.
• Always allow for extra driving time, reduce speeds when visibility is low, and enure there is plenty of room between vehicles.
• Also, look out for black ice---a thin, transparent layer of ice accumulation that can be visually hard to detect on bridges, overpasses, off-ramps and in shady spots.
• As always, DOTD reminds motorists to buckle up and refrain from drinking and driving.
For the most up-to-date road status information, DOTD offers motorists various resources:
511 Traveler Information: Travelers can find information regarding road closures by downloading the Louisiana 511 mobile app or by visiting the 511 Traveler Information website at http://www.511la.org . This website is updated in real time with changing road conditions.
MyDOTD: Motorists can receive up-to-date information on local projects, lane and road closures, and other DOTD activity by signing up for MyDOTD at www.dotd.la.gov.
Social Media: Find DOTD on social media for updates and information. Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.